COMING UP NEXT ON JULY 15, 2014
You are in for another treat on Tuesday July 15, at Felix and Oscars on Merle Hay. We’ll begin the event at 7 p.m. with three extraordinary featured speakers, and then open it up for everyone to show & tell.
Our featured speakers will be:
Leonard Fazio of the Squeegee Squad here in Des Moines who will talk about the tools and techniques required for hanging off skyscrapers while washing windows. (I wonder if he has a story of anything unusual he has seen while looking in those windows?)
Linda Ferguson is a mermaid. Yes, there are actual mermaids and they swim in Weeki Watchee Springs, Florida. Linda will tell us all about them!
Tanya Keith may just well be this town’s most ardent soccer fan. She has traveled all over the world in support of her passion for soccer, and has even written a book! The USA lost a heart-breaker against Belgium, but what an exciting night – soccer fever is on the rise!
Tell your friends and join us on Tuesday July 15, at Felix and Oscars from 7 to 8:30 p.m.!
AMANDA THE PANDA QUESTIONS
If you would like to learn more about how to support Amanda the Panda please contact Cindy Meek at Cindy@amandathepanda.org.
OTHER STORYTELLING EVENTS
As per Pat Coffie here is a reminder of upcoming storytelling events:
Going to the Frogs, July 25
Iowa Storytelling Festival July 25 and 26.
Check out Storytellers' Roundtable of ILA on FB for more information about these and other events.
CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK AND MEETUP
If you are part of Meetup and Facebook, please join us there to keep posted on upcoming events and see photos. I'll also plan to send a monthly update via email.
A PROMPTING QUESTION
We'll observe the same rules for show and telling each month with each person who wishes to speak permitted 8-minutes to present. If there is time, or you really don't have something handy for show & tell you can take a try at the monthly prompting question. We didn't get to the question in June so here it is for July:
What is a talent you posses? When did you discover it and how do you use it in life?
RECAP OF JUNE SHOW & TELLS:
We enjoyed another amazing Show & Tell Des Moines experience in June. Thanks to everyone who attended and especially to those folks who got up and shared their great stories with their props! We witnessed the magic connection through stories that touch lives. Here is a brief recap of our June flight:
- We learned about Amanda the Panda and how children (and adults) have worked to cope through grief by turning it into a monster they could face and deal with successfully.
- We were transported to times gone by as a professional Iowa Storyteller told several colorful family stories from her life including some flammable tales of youth!
- We heard about (and saw!) giant Bolivian frogs and viewed the art and utility of an exotic blow dart used by native people in the rain forest.
- We learned about Donald the dog who attended his owners funeral and was a most honorable and noteworthy pup.
- We viewed some of what lurks beneath the surface of Big Creek Lake when it was temporarily drained.
- We found out that inside every peach pit there is a tiny monkey just waiting to be whittled out…with tiny little tools!
- We marveled over a model of the famed John F. Kennedy PT-109, the boat that was torn in half in the pacific during WW2
- We were struck by the inner beauty that waits just below the surface of a plain looking geode.
- We enjoyed the story of a father who shared his love and personal history, writing it one finger at a time.
We were transported to so many sites and ideas in the span of an hour a half!